- What It Is
- Who It's For
- When To Use It
- How It Works
- Next Steps
e‑Deliberation™ is an online collaborative platform for decision making and strategy building.
It is used by teams and communities to solve multi-stakeholder & complex challenges.
Your team or community has the ideas and experience needed to solve almost any problem or challenge.
The difficulty lies in getting everyone together, making these ideas emerge and weaving them into great decisions, policies, and strategies, and making sure everyone is on board to make these work.
- You easily bring together everyone you need without having to travel, or fight for schedule time or meeting rooms, without having to shuffle everyone's other priorities...
- Your team uses a powerful process to surface all the perspectives needed - the team comes up with a robust strategy that addresses all the aspects of the problem jointly, severally, and in integration....
- You know that the final solution will be accepted by all the stakeholders and they will make sure it is successful ...
This is what the e‑Deliberation™ collaboration platform will do for you.
Use e‑Deliberation™ to help your people achieve a meeting of the minds and master the complex challenges you face.
Use e‑Deliberation when you are concerned with (click on list items for typical uses and benefits):
- Innovation: Top-driven innovation worked for Steve Jobs. For the rest of us, taking fragile ideas from incubation to market is a team effort. Teams use e‑Deliberation to absorb resistance through collaboration.
- Preparing Change: Big changes sap productivity especially when these are imposed. Use e‑Deliberation to engage the people impacted by the change to help define the best way to make it happen. This creates a critical mass of persons who want to make it happen.
- Devising Strategy: Management Team meetings and Board meetings are great for updates and connecting, but not great for team building and creating superb strategy. For these, e‑Deliberation is the ticket.
- Self-Managed Teams: Many organizations are moving away from the hierarchical paradigm, replacing it with self-organizing teams where policy decision making is team-based. e‑Deliberation assists by providing such teams with a strong process of deliberation and decision making, and the use of consent, instead of an elusive consensus.
- Public Participation & Engagement: e‑Deliberation is the only online solution that covers the entire public participation spectrum defined by the IAP2.
- Getting Real Collaborative Engagement: Most governments have embraced an e-Government strategy, and are using the Internet to inform and get feedback on planned policies. e‑Deliberation enables the next level of engagement: Collaboration to define and plan the roll-out of these policies.
- Defining Policy: Unwanted policy effects and unintended consequences can be minimized by encouraging those who will be impacted to be part of the thinking process. e‑Deliberation makes it easy for people to get involved constructively without having to take to the streets or even travel.
- Defining Policy Roll-out: Once a policy has been approved, the next challenge is to deploy it as smoothly as possible, mitigating harm and surprises. By engaging the stakeholders in an e‑Deliberation about the policy roll-out, hiccups can be preempted in the planning stage and the stakeholders become the evangelists for the change.
- Synergy: Communities are more than their local governments. When community synergy is enabled and orchestrated, often by the local government or by community leaders, the community can reinvent itself to face difficult times. e‑Deliberation is a tool for community reinvention and quality of life improvement.
- Community Activism: Change always starts with one person deciding to become part of the solution. Using e‑Deliberation s/he can assemble a critical mass of persons and perspectives to find strong solutions and strategies to issues they care about. And then, move to action.
- The Qualified Citizen: Today people are qualified enough to be able to weigh in on issues and decisions what will impact them. e‑Deliberation is a respectful, egalitarian and democratic process that allows people to collaborate and define their collective future.
- Value for the money: Association membership dues are always under pressure to be stretched further. People use e‑Deliberation to meet virtually and get the connection and the meeting of the minds without the need for travel.
- Effective Leadership: Association members look to the leadership to provide processes that maximize the value of association. e‑Deliberation complements annual conventions by allowing members to develop strong strategies to promote the goals of the association in between.
- Volunteer Governance: Association elections concentrate accountability in the hands of the few and often asks them to do way too much - an alternative but complementary model is possible with e‑Deliberation, where the membership can get involved with some of the heavy lifting.
Use e‑Deliberation™ when you cannot resolve a situation, goal or challenge single‑handedly.
- Concerns several stakeholder groups or concerned parties;
- Cannot be solved using a deterministic algorithm or proven recipe; there is no “silver bullet”;
- A number of persons will be affected by the decision and imposing it will not work;
- Would-be participants cannot free up their agenda or travel to a central location;
- Requires a strategic thinking process to help participants converge to an agreed-upon set of solutions;
- Has several intertwined aspects each of which cannot be looked at independently of the others;
- Requires the input of a number of different types of experts working together in tandem.
If any of these apply, you need a team-based approach and e‑Deliberation™ to effectively address it.
Contact us to book an e-Deliberation™ event!
The e-Deliberation™ Process
- An on-line summit event to collaboratively deliberate and resolve a stated event Focus.
- Systemic, emergent, high variety, multi-threaded, consent-based.
- For groups of 12 persons and up, ideally, 30-40.
- Participants work individually, in teams, and as a group.
- Participation interaction can be synchronous and asynchronous.
- Groups can meet online, face to face, or both.
- Several variants of the process are available; each designed for a different event outcome.
- Outcomes range from simple feedback on a proposed focus (idea, policy, plan, etc.) to the deliberated development of a multifaceted, integrated and consent-based strategy or policy.
Click and zoom, or use the arrows to advance the presentation.
Schedule An e‑Deliberation™ Event Up For Your Team or Community
e‑Deliberation™ Events are easy to set-up and schedule.
- First, sign-up as a member of the e‑Deliberation community;
- The set up your e‑Deliberation event. It can be either private or open to the public. A Facilitator will contact you to finalize arrangements. Simple.
Contact us to get started and for more information about how e‑Deliberation™ can help you and your team achieve your goals.
Public e-Deliberation Events Accepting New Participants
These are public events to which you are invited to get engaged and participate. Click to find out more!